State congress implements tough-on-crime bills

During his 2023 governor campaign, Former Attorney General Jeff Landry pledged to toughen crime laws in Louisiana. Now the newly elected governor is fulfilling his campaign promise to establish “law and order.”

On Feb. 19, Landry called for a special session of the Louisiana legislature to target LA’s high crime rates. Landry addressed politicians, police officers and crime victims, assuring them the Landry administration will work with legislators to reduce violent crime.

“Last year I promised the people of this state, if elected Governor, I would do everything within my power to improve the safety of our communities through both legislative and executive action,” Landry said. “Today we continue that process.”

Since February, the House and Senate discussed and voted on almost 30 proposed bills. Out of the 30 proposed, less than half passed both the House and Senate. The passed bills, which targeted criminals on death row, juvenile offenders and parolees, now await Gov. Landry’s signature.

HB6 proposes criminal executions “by one of the following methods: (1) Intravenous injection of a substance or substances in a lethal quantity into the body, (2) Nitrogen hypoxia, (3) Electrocution.” This bill introduces two new methods of execution which were not previously legalized in Louisiana. HB6 also gives the public access to some previously confidential court records of juveniles.

HB9 eliminates parole for any prisoner convicted after Aug. 1 with few exceptions, such as juvenile offenders. Good behavior reductions would decrease from 65% to 15%, according to the bill’s author, Rep. Debbie Villio (R-Kenner).

“For those of you who believe parole should be considered for a person 18 years or older who commits a heinous crime for which the sentence of life is imposed,” Villio said, “there’s likely very little I can say to you to make a difference. We simply disagree — philosophically.”

Republican lawmakers staunchly supported HB6 and HB9, claiming the bills will result in long-lost justice for crime victims. Supporters believe the Landry administration, along with the state legislature, are taking large steps to reduce crime rates.

“Overall, I think it was positive,” Sen. Patrick Connick, (R-Marrero), said. “I think the public is demanding that we get tough on crime, and we have.”

Meanwhile, opponents of the bill argue the bills will not reduce crime rates. Democratic lawmakers claimed the special session was a rushed attempt by the Landry administration to fulfill one of his campaign goals. before the 2024 regular session. 

“I thought the session was rushed,” Rep. Kyle Green, D-Marrero, said. “It was unneeded. Many of the things we were taking up could have been taken up in the regular session and have a more robust debate about some of these issues.”

After the tough-on-crime bills passed the House and Senate, Gov. Landry officially scheduled a bill-signing ceremony for Mar. 6 during which he will sign the bills into law.