Wiffleball tournament fuels competitive fun

Beau Benoit

With midterms rearing their heads, students need to let loose and relieve some stress in an entertaining way. What better fashion than a wiffleball tournament hosted by the Department of Recreational Services? 

Men’s and women’s teams played in a single-elimination bracket to determine a winner. For the men’s side, “Smell Ya” team captain Garrison Lynch led teammates Bryce Bertucci, Logan Wedrall and Brady Wells to victory. In the women’s division, captain Kristin Finley and her “KD 1” lineup of Hope Crowe, Carley Teekell, Lacey Tripp and Marley Van Zandt came out on top.

Lynch explained that it was an easy decision to create a wiffleball team for the tournament. After seeing the upcoming tournament on the IM Leagues app, he made some calls, created a team and showed up ready to win.

“I got some buddies together and we decided to play,” Lynch said. “I enjoy doing anything athletic, just something to stay busy.”

No registration fee meant anyone with the slightest hand-eye coordination and a go-get-‘em attitude could participate. White, a junior biology pre-med major, exemplified the intramural spirit.

“Anybody can say, ‘it’s just a wiffleball game,’” White said. “The competitive atmosphere makes it so much better in the moment.”

The competitive atmosphere certainly arrived on time. Starting at 5:00 p.m., the sound of plastic bats sending wiffleballs flying filled the western-most Activity Center gymnasiums. The event was originally planned to be held at University Park, but cold weather forced Rec Services to move the games indoors.

Those unlucky enough to be matched up with real professionals were quickly turned from players to spectators. Once out, teams lined the bleachers to watch the tournament unfold. Despite any hard feelings from losing, the tournament provided an entertaining space for those who have never touched a bat and those who grew up on the sport.

Lynch, another junior biology pre-med major, said that he played wiffleball on and off growing up, however it’s been a couple of years since he’s been serious about it.

“It’s been a good seven or eight years since back in middle school,” Lynch said. “I couldn’t throw to save my life.”

White’s history with the game is similar to Lynch’s. Wiffleball was also a favorite of his when he was younger.

“We would randomly get people together on a Saturday or after a baseball game and go in the yard and play together,” White said. “It’s a way to keep active and be competitive.”

When all was said and done, Lynch and the rest of “Smell Ya” received the sought-after honor of being posted on the Rec Services’ Instagram page. When asked how it felt to win, Lynch had only one thing to say: “It was expected.”