Strong offense, defense deny Demons of win

Beau Benoit

One got away, and the rest came to play. ULM baseball let the Northwestern State Demons make a single run before bringing its A-game for a 9-2 win over its in-state opponent. A solid defense from ULM (5-4) and some weak at-bats from NSU (2-7) led to a Warhawk win last Tuesday. 

The Warhawks traveled south to take on Northwestern State for their first away game. Although the action took a moment to pick up, the Warhawks had the batting skills to step up to the plate before the end.

The Demons took the lead in the first inning with one run. ULM locked down the game with its defense, not allowing NSU to score again until the bottom of the ninth. 

The Warhawks’ offense picked up in the middle innings to create a lead that lasted for the rest of the ball game. ULM scored three runs by the top of the third and managed to pound the strike zone with each at-bat.

Being the first away game of the season, players and coaches entered the game with high energy and positive attitudes. 

After witnessing an embracing team environment, freshman Easton Winfield attributed the early success to unity and dedication. 

“I would say we have the bond this year that other teams like the Demons don’t always have,” Winfield said. “We believe that we are going to win every game with our dangerous offense and our lockdown defense.”

The Warhawks picked up the pace in the top of ninth, scoring four runs and stealing bases left and right. Overall, ULM scored 9-straight runs with little interference from NSU.

The win marks ULM’s first win over NSU since March 26, 2013, a losing streak that lasted for nine games total. Senior Michelle Artzberger was proud to see his team pushing each other to do their best.

“Every single day, whether it be practice or a game, we have a purpose to push each other and get better,” Artzberger said. “Everyone on the team brought the energy and wouldn’t stop competing. That’s how we are.”

The pitching staff was truly on point, with Beau Blanchard and Chipper Menard each throwing a scoreless inning. Coach Federico has high hopes for the team going into the spring after seeing the team’s early success.

“I love this team, and I really feel like we have the pitching staff now to make this a special year for us,” Federico said. “Overall, I’m really excited and really anticipating a successful season based on what we’ve seen so far.”