CCM moving trees out, garden in

All that’s left of the giant oak tree at the CCM is a stump

The Catholic Campus Ministry, or CCM, of ULM has begun con­struction on a prayer garden on the corner of Northeast Dr. and University Ave.

Father Job, Campus Minister and priest of the CCM, says that it is his hope that the entire campus can benefit by the addition of this garden, even if they never enter it. He says that just seeing the beau­ty of the eventual garden will be a ministry in itself.

“Our campus is beautiful, and we want to enhance that beauty,” says Job.

Job says that it has taken eight years to acquire the lot. Now that they have it, Job hopes that the garden will be a “crown to the campus.”

A side effect to the construc­tion, however, was the destruc­tion of a large, old oak tree. Ac­cording to the CCM, insurance adjusters said the tree had grown too large and was endangering the surrounding buildings and their inhabitants.

All that's left of the giant oak tree at the CCM is a stump

But Job wants to reassure the public that the tree’s destruction was unavoidable, and he wants people to know that the CCM will be very responsible with what re­places the tree.

“When you cut one tree, you should plant 10 others,” says Job.

Job also referred to Jeremiah 1: 10, a verse that says “to build and to plant.” Job says the verse serves as sort of a motto for the CCM during the construction.

The construction is in ear­ly stages of development, and no time line has been placed on the project’s completion.

The CCM is encouraging stu­dents and faculty to submit ideas for the garden to them via their website: www.ulmccm.org.

Job says that another way to help is by participating in the fish fries the ministry holds every Fri­day until Easter.

All proceeds from the lunches will go to the garden’s construc­tion fund.