Intramural softball set for electric season

Beau Benoit
Bryce Bertucci jogs to home plate after his teammate nails a home run.

As the first week of intramural softball action comes to an end, it’s time to highlight some teams to watch this season.

Starting with co-ed recreational softball, “The Batican” hosted a shoot-out versus “Shoot Em & Barium,” winning Monday’s game 31-13. “Homerun Hooligans” posted a shutout against “SKI,” putting up 26 runs while allowing none. In Wednesday’s slate of games, “SKI” once again didn’t perform well, losing 20-2 against “Bat Attitude.” “Shoot Em & Barium” also lost again on Wednesday with a shutout 21-0 loss versus “Sticks & Chicks.”

In the women’s bracket, “KD2” fumbled against “AOII,” losing Monday’s match 19-3. Sister team “KD1” picked up the slack by handing “Bat-itude” a 26-5 loss.

One of the players for “KD1,” Avery Jones, mentioned some players that helped to generate Monday’s win.

“Some of our notable players are Carley Teekel and Kenzie Lipa,” Jones said. “They both played in high school and have contributed lots of runs as well as great plays in the field so far this season. They have each gotten a hit every at-bat and scored on most of those hits.”

Jones, being a freshman, said she wanted to take advantage of participating in intramurals, primarily because of her history with the sport.

“I played softball from t-ball up until eighth grade. I played league ball, school ball and travel ball throughout those years,” Jones said. “It’s been fun playing with friends after a long break from a more traditional softball setting.”

In Wednesday’s lineup, “Bad Pitches” pulled off a 23-0 win against “Bat-itude” while “KD1” showcased some sibling rivalry by besting “KD2” 17-1.

The men’s bracket shared similar blowouts, such as “Dora’s Explorers” 30-6 win over “Delta Sigma Phi.”  “Dora’s Explorers” member Jacob White had previously been on the winning team for the wiffleball tournament, and he expressed how happy he said he felt to be with his friends playing softball.

“This is the first game with all of us together,” White said. “The adrenaline is fiery in the dugout. We are pumped.”

“VCOM” recorded a 28-11 win over “PIKE C,” while “Drake’s Missile” put up back-to-back wins one hour apart. The team beat “Kappa Sigma” 20-6, followed by “The Team” with a score of 16-3. Wednesday’s matches included “Drake’s Missile” taking down “KA” 22-6, while offensive dynamo “Dora’s Explorers” returned to University Park to down “PIKE A” 25-13.