RMI majors network with local businesses

Companies+recruited+Risk+Management+and+Insurance+students.+
Hanna Singh
Companies recruited Risk Management and Insurance students.

Future insurance agents, brokers and risk analysts explored opportunities with professionals in their fields at the annual Risk Management and Insurance (RMI) Career Fair on March 8. The event, hosted by ULM Career Development and the RMI Program, offered students the chance to build connections with industry leaders and local businesses in the community.

One student embarking on his career journey described the importance of taking advantage of these types of events. Senior RMI major George Nobles makes a point to network within his prospective industry and encourages others to as well.

“I think it is essential for younger majors to go to these fairs and get their names out there,” Nobles said. “I have had the ability to meet and form connections with people across the industry.”

Businesses eager to hire up and coming professionals stood at their booths encouraging RMI majors to talk. Member Services Coordinator of LCI Workers’ Comp Sara Coulon enjoyed exchanging information and ideas with potential hires. 

“It’s so great to see so many young professionals looking to further their education and potentially start life-long careers,” Coulon said. “At the fair, businesses have the opportunity to demonstrate their company values as well as their culture.”

Behind the scenes, the dedicated staff at ULM’s Career and Student Development Office spend months planning for a successful career fair. Director of Employer Relations and Outreach Kellye Blackburn found it rewarding to watch students gain experience and potential connections.

“The ultimate goal for attending a career fair would be for the student to obtain an internship or full-time job,” Blackburn said. “It really makes my day when a student I have helped create a resume, practice interview skills and prepare for a career fair tells me that they ‘got the job.’”

Students of all majors can explore career opportunities through the several major-specific career fairs held each semester. The Career and Student Development Offices offers resources, including resume reviews, and mock interviews to help students succeed in their career journey.