ULM’s School of Education establishes ACES program to support disabled students

INCLUSIVE+LEARNING%3A+The+ACES+program+will+make+ULM+a+more+inclusive+and+diverse+learning+environment.+
Graphic courtesy Jeremy Bell
INCLUSIVE LEARNING: The ACES program will make ULM a more inclusive and diverse learning environment.

In a bid to enhance inclusivity in higher education, ULM unveiled its Academics, Career, Engagement and Support Transition and Postsecondary Program, also known as the ACES program. According to Special Education Coordinator Jeremy Bell, the ACES program’s origins stem from the efforts of the state board of regents.

“The state board of regents have a postsecondary inclusive advisory council that meets to promote the needs of students with intellectual disabilities,” Bell said.

Bell and the state board of regents designed the curriculum to empower students with practical skills and knowledge for their future careers. Students will attend non-credit seminars and courses sponsored by the ACES program. Additionally, the program gives students a chance to gain college experience by allowing participating students to audit college courses.

Professor Bell emphasized their significance as mentors when discussing the crucial role of education students within the program. Education students will work with students participating in the ACES program, gaining experience working with students with intellectual disabilities. These students can apply the training and skills they learned by mentoring for the ACES program in their classrooms.

“We will have mentors who will provide support for the students as needed, such as attending classes with the students,” Bell said.

Professor Bell states that the program will foster a more equitable learning environment and expresses his hope that ULM students will become more involved in its operations. At the same time, he acknowledges the challenges ahead, addressing potential transportation and logistical issues.

Overall, Bell said that he believes the program will have a long-lasting impact on students throughout the state.

“I hope the program helps provide the community with another option for students with intellectual disabilities,” Bell said.

Students interested in applying for the ACES program can contact Jeremy Bell at [email protected] for more information.