Students, faculty compete in annual kick ball match

photo courtesy Valerie Fields

Spirits were high as faculty and students gathered at ULM’s softball complex for the annual student versus faculty game. Students and staff alike sought to win, giving spectators an afternoon full of friendly competition and camaraderie.
The game began evenly matched, with neither team able to bust through defense or give enough offense to score a run. ULM’s staff put up quite the fight; its teamwork and coordination made it difficult for students to advance on the bases.
As the game progressed, tensions began to rise as both teams fought hard to gain the upper hand. The faculty managed to score a run in the fifth inning, the first of the game. However, the students responded with a run of their own in the seventh inning, tying the game and setting the stage for an exciting finish. Adrenaline pumped the students up so much that catcher Lawson Marchand’s shoe received more airtime than his kick. He showed his team his all-or-nothing attitude as he bolted to first base, only learning moments later that it was a foul.
In the final inning, the staff showed its experience and determination, scoring two more runs to take the lead. Despite a valiant effort by the students in the bottom of the inning, they could only score one run, resulting in a final score of 4-2.

photo courtesy Valerie Fields

The staff could not help but relish their victory, which was the first faculty win in quite some time.
“Oh, we did wonderful. I mean, this is the first win we’ve had in a long time,” Provost and vice president of academic affairs Mark Arant said.
Overall, the kickball game was a resounding success, highlighting the talent and sportsmanship of ULM’s community. The match reminded everyone that, no matter a student of staff’s title or role, anyone can bond over a plate and a ball.
Anthony Ruggiero, the game’s scorekeeper and softball team director of operations, admired the players’ attitudes on the field.
“I just think it’s awesome how the students and faculty are just able to put aside their titles for one night and just play a game,” Ruggiero said.