Tigers trampled during non-conference bout

ULM Athletics
SWINGIN’ AND SLINGIN’: Meagan Brown readies to swing at the ball.

ULM’s softball team fought hard to rebound from its series with Troy and succeeded with Wednesday’s 5-1 game against Grambling State.
“We worked hard all this season and this week to prepare for this,” infielder Marissa Zenzen said. “It’s just another game.”
The Warhawks (27-17; 9-6 Sun Belt Conference) started strong, with pitcher Kassidy Giddens leaving the Tigers (13-25; 5-12 Southwestern Athletic Conference) struggling to land hits. Attentive outfielders snuffed out the few Grambling managed to hit.
In the bottom of the first, Lourdes Bacon brought everyone into the game with a hit that got her to third. A hit from Megan Brown got Bacon home, giving ULM the first point of the game. Layla Thompson followed, securing a hit for Brown to cross the plate and bring ULM’s lead to 2-0.
The next two innings left both teams empty-handed. Multiple outs stunted progress for the Tigers. The fourth inning got the crowd cheering once more. A Tiger’s hit nearly scored, but a double play from the Warhawks denied Grambling a run.
ULM began to slow down—strikes riddled ULM at the bat. For a moment, the catcher was getting more action than the field. The Warhawks returned to the dugout, earning no runs.
With a less-than-solid grip on the lead, ULM pitcher Kassidy Giddens faced a bit of stress.
“When I started pitching, I didn’t have too much confidence, but I knew that no matter what my team had my back,” Giddens said.
Several team members huddled around her, giving her encouragement and reassurance. The Tigers got a few hits in, most getting out within the same breath. Giddens’ talk with her friends fired her up, ending the fourth with three strikes on Grambling’s Deija Russell.
Maddie Nickels pitched the fifth inning for ULM, and a full count and loaded bases caused an anxious standoff. Unfortunately for the Warhawks, one last ball gave the Tigers their first point. ULM got a chance to breathe as Grambling struck out swinging, concluding the fifth inning.
Hits between Brown and Thomspon led to two more runs. Grambling’s chance of recovery grew slim.
Nickels struck two players out at the beginning of the sixth, barely letting the Tigers breathe. Grambling wasn’t going easy either, striking out Bristin Bordeau. The damage was already done.
Grambling’s mistakes only grew as the end drew near, its batter hitting a ball right into Nickels’ hand. Another strikeout, and the game was over.
In a 5-1 game that left ULM fans with little worry, the Warhawks have a positive foundation to continue conference play.
“If you’re not chasing to win, you’re setting yourself up to lose. I think that’s the most important thing,” Kelsey Giddens said. “Just chase after the win.”