CBSS Pelican Cup inspires entrepreneurs, innovators

Bibek Neupane

The College of Business and Social Sciences held the annual Entrepreneurship Pelican Cup Luncheon, honoring this year’s winners of the semester-long business and marketing competition. The luncheon recognizes the top three teams, accumulating over $94,000 in prizes.

Cantaloupe AI won the Entrepreneurship Pelican Cup. The team included members from both Tulane University and Southeastern University, who shared a common vision for Cantaloupe AI. Members of Cantaloupe AI describe the product as a predictive hiring platform. Cantaloupe AI targets issues in the service and hospitality industries, decreasing turnover rates by enhancing the compatibility between employees and employers.

Cantaloupe AI’s chief marketing officer, Connor Gleason, described his team’s excitement at winning the coveted grand prize of $50,000. He praised the dedication and hard work of his teammates and faculty advisor.

“We are very excited. This has been something in our mind for a long time; we have been working for so many months,” Cantaloupe CMO Connor Gleason said. “We feel very excited that we made it this far and represent our universities here.”

Tulane University’s Tipzy earned $25,000 as the second-place winner. Tipzy markets its product to bar owners, developing software that lets customers choose the music in bars through small payment. This innovative solution allows bars to monetize a service and cater to customers’ wants.

ULM’s very own Trigworks took home a $10,000 prize as the third-place winner. Trigworks aims to tackle joint pain and fatigue with their creation. This product benefits athletes, people with physically demanding jobs and frequent travelers.

Viktor Motov, a team member of Trigworks, mentioned that Trigworks will come back bigger and better next year, hoping to win the grand prize.

“The feeling is different because we expected ourselves get little more, but still win for us,” team member Viktor Motov said. “It’s a huge experience that we going to carry next time. So, it’s going to be beneficial for us.”

Besides announcing the competition winners, officials at the luncheon judged an elevator pitch competition. A member from each team gave a pitch about their business, each lasting 90 seconds.

SketchMan CEO and ULM student Supriya Pudasainy won the elevator pitch. SketchMan is an app designed to sketch criminals based on descriptions received by police officials.

The College of Business and Social Sciences organizes the business and marketing competition yearly, allowing students from across the state to compete for the grand prize. Dean of the College of Business and Social Science Michelle McEacharn described the benefits and invaluable experience students gain while competing in the Entrepreneurship Pelican Cup.

“This competition helps students because the business is built on their entrepreneurial experience,” Dean of the College of Business and Social Science Michelle McEacharn said. “If they decide they want to go of their own opportunity, this is built on the skill set and background they need for that. ”