Student-led protests erupt across US college campuses

Courtesy Tribune Content Agency
MAKE PEACE NOT WAR: Pro-Palestinian college students urged universities to stop receiving funds from Israel.

College campuses across the country became the sites of encampments and sit-ins amid growing controversy over the U.S.’s involvement in the Israel-Hamas War. Instead of attending classes or studying for finals, students at the nation’s top universities set up camps in academic buildings and school courtyards. 
Pro-Palestinian students from Columbia University created the first encampment of the 2024 protests on April 17. On the same day, Columbia University President Nemat “Minouche” Shafik participated in a congressional hearing, during which she condemned the actions of Hamas. Shafik explained her goal of eradicating antisemitism on Columbia’s campus, condemning the actions of two Columbia faculty members. 
“Antisemitism has no place on our campus, and I am personally committed to doing everything I can to confront it directly,” Shafik said. “Israel was brutally attacked by Hamas terrorists, and very soon, it became clear that these horrific events would ignite fear and anguish across our campus.”
Tenured Columbia professor Joseph Massad wrote an article for The Electronic Intifada, calling the Israel-Hamas War “the Palestinian war of liberation.” Mohamed Abdou, a visiting professor at Columbia, created a Facebook post on October 11 supporting Hamas. 
“Yes, I’m with muqawamah [the resistance], be it Hamas and Hezbollah and Islamic Jihad, but up to a point,” Abou wrote. 
Columbia students reacted to Shafik’s testimony by occupying the campus lawn. Protesters vowed to remain in place until Columbia stopped receiving funds or assets from companies connected to Israel. Shafik responded by sending the New York Police Department (NYPD) to disband the encampment, citing a potential threat to non-participating students. In total, NYPD arrested 108 students, including the daughter of U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar. 
“The students that were arrested were peaceful, offered no resistance whatsoever and were saying what they wanted to say,” NYPD police commissioner Edward Caban said. 
NYPD’s treatment of protesters sparked outrage among college students across the U.S. Protests occurred in 13 states, including Louisiana. Last Friday, Loyola University and Tulane University students staged a walkout in support of Columbia University. Protesters at the two neighboring universities called for the campuses to cut ties with Israeli companies. The protests briefly shut down St. Charles Avenue in New Orleans; however, no participating students or faculty faced opposition from local police. 
In Baton Rouge, LSU students held Pro-Palestine protests last week, encouraging university officials to stop supporting Israel. Protesters hosted a “die-in,” lying on the ground to represent the thousands of Palestinian lives lost due to the war in Gaza. Similarly to students in New Orleans, Baton Rouge police did not arrest any protesters. 
Universities in Northern Louisiana, such as ULM and LA Tech, have not partaken in any Pro-Palestine protests. Campus officials and students remain quiet on issues involving the Israel-Hamas War.