Students strive for academic excellence at Research Symposium

PATHWAY+TO+SUCCESS%3A+Students+presented+their+semester-long+research+to+a+panel+of+judges.+
ULM Marketing Program
PATHWAY TO SUCCESS: Students presented their semester-long research to a panel of judges.

ULM held its annual Research Symposium on April 24, highlighting its faculty and students’ innovative research and scholarly achievements. The symposium featured a diverse range of presentations and posters across various disciplines, showing the university’s commitment to academic excellence and research.
Students from many backgrounds attended to gain knowledge in niche areas. Freshman pre-nursing major Kylee-Ann Dixon appreciated the variety of information presented.
“I really liked the Research Symposium. It showed a lot of different things that people at ULM are studying,” Dixon said. “It was cool to see how much they care about learning and finding new things.”
The event began with a flurry of presentations, with students displaying their work to judges for grading. The distinguished panel of judges meticulously evaluated each presentation and poster, considering design, methodology, and impact factors. Judges reviewed topics ranging from on-campus residential experiences to comparative analyses on COVID-19. 
Following the symposium, the much-anticipated award ceremony brought together researchers, faculty, and students to celebrate the achievements of their peers. Each college awarded the students with the most impressive projects, the winners receiving a $50 Visa gift card. Each award served as a testament to ULM’s academic community’s dedication and hard work.
Sophomore risk management and insurance major Bryant “BreX” Breksa won in the CBSS’ Political Science section with a poster on his findings for on-campus resident experiences. Breksa interviewed on-campus students living in poor living conditions.
“The 2024 Research Symposium primarily helped me by providing a framework and opportunity to gain experience with presenting research, with experienced judges that ask in-depth questions that add to the educational experience,” Breksa said.
As the symposium ended, attendees left with pride in ULM’s academics. The 2024 Research Symposium displayed students’ capabilities with research projects and will be useful to students in their academic journeys.