Opera lights up stage

Robert Jerrod Brown

Quality entertainment from VAPA’s Division of Music

On March 24 and 25, Spyker Theater played host to a collec­tion of opera excerpts performed by VAPA’s Division of Music. Se­lections of works by Leonard Ber­nstein (composer of the film score for the well-known West Side Sto­ry among many others) were the theme of the show.

Shelby Wright, sophomore bi­ology major, attended the perfor­mance to support her friends from Ouachita Parish High School: Am­ber Atkins, Orlandzeo Hennings and Brittany Paulk. “All of the performers did extremely well,” Wright said after watching the show.

Many weeks, if not months of practice, go into putting on such a production. Amber Atkins, one of the performers, said that they normally have rehearsals at least once, if not twice a week. As open­ing night approaches, however, it isn’t uncommon to have rehears­als every day.

Despite the amount of work put in by the Division of Music, Thurs­day night’s crowd was pleasant, if not a bit small.

When asked about the audience in attendance, Director of Opera and Music Mark Clark said, “[The performance] is part of the learn­ing process. It is our job to give as much energy as we would when it is packed.”

Whether performing for one or 1000, the Division of Music strives to put on a good show for the au­dience.