Jump rope routine defines the winner

Students take the stage for ‘ULM’s Got Talent’ third annual show

Chad Rankin can defi­nitely say that his staying in shape and exercising pays off. Not only is he award­ed by being physically fit, he was recently awarded with a brand new Apple iPad.

Rankin is a senior, semes­ter five nursing student from Haughton who stole the hearts of the audience, as well as the judges, on Mon­day night as he competed against at least a dozen stu­dents in the third annual ULM’s Got Talent.

Rankin performed an amazing jump rope rou­tine which landed him first place.

Rankin has been jump­ing rope since the fifth grade and has traveled all around the world performing and teaching workshops.

Rankin said “The reason I entered the talent show is because I love showing off my unique talent and exer­cise.”

Rankin loves encourag­ing others to work out. He is worried because Louisiana is one of the leading nine states for being overweight.

Rankin prepared by going to the ULM Activity Center.

“They have an awesome multi-purpose room,” he said, which is where he cre­ated a jump rope routine to “On the Floor” by Jennifer Lopez.

Rankin said “I was super duper nervous when they called my name. I was sur­prised because I thought the girl who did the break dancing was great, and I was amazed at how well she en­gaged the audience.”

That girl was Shanet Mc­Carter, a freshman pre-ra­dio technology major from Colfax.

McCarter took home sec­ond place and a $100 Wal- Mart gift card. Taking home the third place prize of a $50 Wal-Mart gift card was Ran­dol Tittle, music education major from Mer Rouge.

McCarter performed a self choreographed hip-hop dance and Tittle did a vo­cal rendition of “Amazed” by Lonestar.