Journalist Dan Rather visits Monroe

MCT

Renowned news anchor shares career, life story

World-renowned journalist Dan Rather will speak in Brown Auditorium on Tuesday, April 19 at 7 p.m. as part of the Presiden­tial Lyceum Series. The subject for Rather’s speech will be “What I’ve Learned from a Lifetime of Re­porting.”

Rather has over 40 years of ex­perience, but is best remembered for his tenure on CBS Evening News after taking over for Walter Cronkite in 1981.

The anchor captivated audienc­es as he reported on major world events for 24 years including the Clinton impeachment, Sept. 11, 2001 and the wars in Iraq and Af­ghanistan before leaving the desk in 2006. Currently, he hosts his own Emmy winning show, Dan Rather Reports, on HDNet.

“The dia­logue that oc­curs between the public and the speakers we host each year is just one more example of the intangi­ble benefits the university pro­vides through its presence in the region,” said Stephen Richters, ULM Vice President of Academ­ic Affairs. “This is an excellent op­portunity to enhance our ties with ULM’s proud supporters.”

The lyceum series was devel­oped by former ULM president Jim Cofer in 2003 to promote in­tellectual exchange. Past speakers have included Steve Forbes, Ben Stein, Robert Kennedy Jr. and Bill Cosby.

Students are eager to hear Rath­er speak, including Gary Jackson, a senior general studies major from Monroe.

Jackson said. “I believe he can give us a lot of insight on today’s current events and educate us on political standpoints which we face today. With his years of ex­perience, he will have a major impact on col­lege students.”

Tickets to the event are free for students and $10 for facul­ty and staff. The general public may attend for $25.

There are also patron tickets available for $50 which include reserved seating and admission to the reception at 5:30 p.m. on the seventh floor of the library.

Visit ULM’s home page for more information.