Library to meet needs during finals week

ULM to extend weekend hours beginning May 6

The weeks building up to finals are always hectic with final pa­pers, packing for the return home and, of course, exams to study for.

During this time, the library and the Student Success Center (SSC) are invaluable, as places to study, but even with more studying go­ing on during the last weeks of the semester, the hours of operation don’t usually change.

For some students, like Krish­na Sapkota, a freshman comput­er science major from Nepal, the library is his access to the Internet.

“I don’t have classes on Mon­day, so I usual­ly come to the li­brary. Mostly, I spend five to six hours studying and reading.”

It is also a qui­et place to study between classes throughout the day.

“I have a pretty hectic sched­ule, so the library gives me a place to work on homework between classes. I just wish it was open for more hours around finals,” said Katie Ross, a biology education freshman from Denham Springs.

This year the library is extend­ing its weekend hours beginning Friday, May 6.

On Friday and Saturday, the li­brary will be opened five ex­tra hours. It will also open four hours earlier. It now opens at 1 p.m. on Sundays, but will open at 10 that Sunday.

During finals week, the library will extend its hours until 1 a.m. each night.

The regular schedule will re­sume that Friday unless a final is taking place there after 1 p.m.

Library Dean Don Smith, how­ever, says that extending hours has not been very successful in the past, but “knowing students want them, we’ll try to continue it.”

Volunteers will be staffing the library and the computer area for students who want to take advan­tage of the additional hours.

“I am glad that the library is ex­tending its weekend hours,” said Sapkota.

“I will definitely go there during them.”