Thomas jumps into fourth title as Mutai breaks 25-year-old record

Senior Jerrica Thomas won her fifth triple-jump title of the season at the Northwestern State Univer­sity Invitational. Her season-best jump of 12.43 meters is ranked as the fourth-best jump in the Sun­belt Conference this outdoor-sea­son.

Also for the women, Senior Lakeitha Elmore finished in the top-four of three events. Elmore placed third in the shot put, with a throw of 15.05 meters, and ham­mer throw, with a throw of 49.98 meters. She rounded up her day with a fourth place finish in the discus throw of 46.78 meters.

For the men, three All-Ameri­cans finished in the top-three in respected events.

Junior sprinter, Luther Am­brose, finished second-place in the 100 meter dash with a season-best time of 10.37 seconds.

The javelin duo of Richard McK­ay and Kyle Kent continues to dominate through the season. Kent finished first overall with a throw of 69.95 meters, while McK­ay finished in third with a throw of 64.22 meters.

The men also had two second-place finishers as Josh Howard fin­ished second-overall in the triple-jump, with a leap of 14.86 meters, while Moses Chelimo finished in the 3,000 meter steeple-chase with a time of 9:48.86.

The Warhawks will be back in action, Saturday, April 23, at the LSU Alumni Gold Meet in Baton Rouge, La.

At the Sea Ray Relays, Daniel Mutai did more than just finish first in the 10,000 meter run Fri­day. He finished first in the ULM record book, as well.

Mutai moved into first place in the 10,000 meter run when he fin­ished the race in a time of 30:39.60 seconds to erase the mark of 30:42.24 set by Jay Wallace in 1986.

A Kenya native, Mutai has been on a tear in 2011 as he has already won races in the 1,500-meter, 5,000 meter, 10,000 meter and the 3,000 steeplechase.