Building a Berry-Browning bond

ULM head football coach Todd Berry
ULM head football coach Todd Berry
ULM head football coach Todd Berry

As the spring semester ends, Head Coach Todd Berry and Quar­terback Kolton Browning prepares for their second summer and sea­son together after they both com­pleted their first season and are looking to get passed the 5-7 overall record in 2010.

One has to believe that this up­coming football season will be more successful than last year now that the coach and quarterback have bonded. Browning will be a lot more comfortable taking snaps behind center thanks to the amount of success he received in his freshman season: 2010 Fresh­man All-America College Foot­ball News, 2010 Louisiana Fresh­man of the Year, 2010 All-Louisi­ana Second Team and 2010 All- Sun Belt Honorable Mention.

Browning broke passing and rushing records for a quarterback at ULM, including five passing touchdowns against conference rival North Texas.

Berry, named as ULM’s head coach in December 2009, got a few positive nods from the alum­ni and community in his first sea­son, losing only two home games. Of course, we all would like to see the road record improve next sea­son and many are expecting the improvement.

This offseason, Berry added a new cornerback coach, Tony Gil­bert. Gilbert will help with the de­fensive secondary issues, as they gave up 21 passing touchdowns last season.

Together the Berry-Brown­ing bond has brought a lot of at­tention to the program. ULM shouldn’t have a problem getting a bid for a bowl game when De­cember rolls around. I project they will finish two games over .500 at 7-5, winning the Sun Belt Confer­ence with only two losses. Three of those losses will come against non-con­ference teams: Florida State, TCU and Iowa.

Look forward to a good season from your Warhawks football team in 2011 as Head Coach Todd Berry and Quarterback Kolton Browning lead the way. I’ll definitely have my Maroon and Gold on, hoping to get on the new video board.