Museum expansion plans take flight

Museum expansion plans take flight

Chinese company helps raise $50k toward additions

The Chennault Aviation Museum’s plans for expanding took off after raising $50,000 at a fundraiser.

Chinese corporation Huawei, the world’s second largest telecommunications company, and Centurylink partnered to throw the event held on Friday at the ULM library conference center.

More than 100 members of the Monroe community gathered to show their support for the museum. So many people arrived that a section of overflow tables had to be arranged in the lobby to accomodate everybody.

Nell Calloway, director of the Chennault Aviation Museum, said the money raised will be used to help

start the expansion project. Though still in the early planning stages, the new portion of the museum will feature exhibits highlighting American and Chinese cooperation during World War II.

Calloway, the granddaughter of  General Claire Lee Chennault for whom the museum is named, said she was personally moved by such an outpouring of support for both the museum and her grandfather.

“I’m overwhelmed, absolutely overwhelmed, that the two companies and the community would throw and event like this in honor of him,” said Calloway.

Chennault still holds the record in China for shooting down the most enemy planes. Chennault has 299 confirmed kills and is suspected of at least that many unconfirmed kills while battling the Japanese in World

War II. His squadron only lost 12 planes.

La. Secretary of State Tom Schedler, whose office is in charge of museums throughout the state, showered praise on the event organizers for believing in the importance of museums.

“This type of corporate and community support makes my job much easier,” said Schedler.

Schedler took the opportunity to reinforce his belief that museums should remain under the office of the sec. of state. A recent movement in Baton Rouge has tried to shift control to the lieutenant governor’s office.

Jim Goyne, senior consultant with Huawei in Monroe, said more events like this one can be expected now that the company is operating in Monroe. Huawei is the first example of a major Centurylink supplier to come to the city.

“Wherever we do business, we like to be socially responsible,” said Goyne.

Though Huawei may not be a household name in America yet, Goyne said it soon will be. The company plans to launch a public relations campaign to increase brand identity in the United States.