Vitter says stalled car plant a possible political ploy

U.S. Senator David Vitter (R-Meterie) told voters that political stalling from the White House could be to blame for problems with the V-Vehicles Company (VVC) factory.

“I can’t say for sure, but it wouldn’t surprise me,” said Vitter when asked if he thought President Barack Obama might have political reasons for delaying the plant.

VVC, a new auto company that planned to build its first manufacturing plant in Monroe, was denied more than $320 million in Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing loan money from the Department of Energy last March. The project has been on hold ever since.

A large crowd of angry voters filled the ULM library conference center to voice concerns about the nation’s financial situation. Many demanded to know what state leaders were doing to further the VVC project.

Vitter said state leaders, specifically Congressman Rodney Alexander (R-Quitman) and U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-New Orleans,) have been working very hard to get the project going again.

Vitter said they have met with resistance from the Obama administration. He said repeated requests for a meeting with DOE Secretary Steven Chu have been denied.

“We’re trying to get insight into their thought process, and it’s like talking to a brick wall,” said Vitter.

The DOE’s letter to VVC cited concerns about the company’s financial viability as the reason the loan was denied. VVC planned to build a new type of fuel-efficient car in Monroe.