Attorney teaches law class during professor’s absence

Poli. Sci. dept. head on leave

This semester’s Constitutional Law class will be taught with a twist. Instead of a regular professor, students will learn from a seasoned legal professional.

Local attorney Bob Noel was brought in to lead the class just one week before the semester began. Political Science Department Head Kevin Unter was originally scheduled to teach the class, but he has been absent in recent weeks.

University administrators have kept a tight lip on the circumstances surrounding Unter’s absence. College of Arts and Sciences Dean Jeff Cass confirmed that Unter is “on leave,” but he would not comment on the nature of Unter’s leave.

Cass said he is the acting department head for the time being.

Though Noel joked that he may be “behind the curve” on things such as Moodle, Noel said he had plenty of time to prepare for the course. This is his first time back in the classroom since 1997. Before then, Noel spent eight years teaching criminal justice for ULM.

Noel said he brings practical experiences to the table when teaching this subject. He said students could benefit from his experience.

Noel gained notoriety for representing Mychal Bell, a defendant in the Jena Six case in 2007.

“I’ve actually been in the wars and the trenches of some of the very issues we’ll be discussing,” said Noel.

Noel hopes to put his own spin on teaching the Constitution. Instead of lecturing everyday, he plans to use the class as a dialogue for discussion.

“I believe in getting their ideas,” said Noel. “I believe a university should be an exchange of ideas.”

That may not be the only difference students will see between their attorney teacher and the professor they originally thought would be leading the class.

Noel, a Democrat, thinks he can bring a new perspective to a class usually taught by a conservative.

“In Constitutional law, there is no right or wrong. That’s why we have five-to-four votes in the Supreme Court,” said Noel.

Kendra Harmon, a political science senior from Oberlin, La., said she was expecting to see Unter and was surprised by her new teacher.

After the first class, Harmon admitted she was not sure what to expect but said, “It’s going to be interesting.”

“He might expect more, but I’m ready for whatever,” said Harmon.

Noel worked as a prosecutor in Ouachita Parish for five years before starting his own law firm.