Football: It’s just a rank, so what?

Football: It’s just a rank, so what?
Srdjan Marjanovic

Browning, Dorsey ready to execute game plan, get win

The football team is prepared for its season opener against the fifthranked Florida State Seminoles on Sept. 3 in Tallahassee, Fla.

Head coach Todd Berry is pushing the Warhawks to play a clean game against the nationally ranked Seminoles.

“I’m really excited about this group,” Berry said. “They really put in the work and commitment level, and they proved it to each other. They are practicing the way you are supposed to.”

Berry said he believes it will not be a sloppy first game.

He said you won’t see a lot of turnovers or penalties that one normally sees in the first game.

The offensive line has been battling in the trenches. After Berry announced his starting lineup, the freshman offensive lineman proved they could make impacts.

“They don’t back down from anything, and they are very talented,” Berry said. “Based on what we’ve seen, they are the best we’ve got.”

Protecting quarterback Kolton Browning is a must for the Warhawks. Last season, Browning connected with 11 different receivers and doesn’t expect much change in his distribution.

Browning said, “I’m going to throw the ball to whoever is open. Our receiving core is a great core. We have a lot of playmakers out there.”

Browning said he feels like he can throw to any one of them, and they are going to make the plays that are “expected of them.”

Defensive end Ken Dorsey expects to set the tone early in the game. He said that he is looking for a big first play and will not look back from there.

Dorsey hopes to send a message to the opponents and also to his teammates.

“We come to win and not to just play,” Dorsey said.

After a long and hot summer of training, ULM feels good about its preparation and is ready to just go out and play.

After playing Southeastern Conference powerhouses last season, the team is not worried about rankings.

“I think we will go out and play the game. We aren’t intimidated by helmets,” Berry said.

Kick-off is scheduled for 2:30 p.m., and game audio can be heard on ulmwarhawks.com.