Champion vs Champion

Champion vs Champion
KRT

Saints-Packers kick-off season Thursday at Lambeau Field

The wait is over for football fans across the country. The much anticipated 2011 NFL season is about to kickoff with the defending champion Green Bay Packers taking on the New Orleans Saints in a battle of champions at the legendary Lambeau Field on Sept. 8.

The Saints are looking to rebound from last year’s ugly playoff defeat at the hands of the Seattle Seahawks, and start the season off right.

Offensively, Drew Brees and his receiving crew of Marques Colston, Lance Moore, Robert Meachem, and Devery Henderson return to make a run at a second title this season.

Noticeably absent on the roster this season, however, are former Saints first round pick Reggie Bush and tight end Jeremy Shockey. Bush was released in the offseason, and signed a new deal with the Miami Dolphins while Shockey moved on to the Carolina Panthers.

The Saints addressed the loss of Bush in this year’s draft by selecting former Alabama running back Mark Ingram in the first round. He will be in the backfield with Pierre Thomas and Darren Sproles as part of the Saints running attack.

Shockey, on the other hand, will be replaced by second-year tight end Jimmy Graham.

New Orleans could benefit from improving offensively this season.

Last season, Brees threw for over 4,600 yards and 33 touchdowns, but also threw 22 interceptions.

New Orleans had numerous injuries at the running back position last year, including Pierre Thomas.

The team ranked 28 in rushing and Chris Ivory led the team with 716 yards and five touchdowns. Solid production on the ground can help them beat Green Bay.

The Packers enter the season ready to defend their title. The celebrations and White House visits are behind them, and it is time for them to get down to business. Most of the team from last year is intact, healthy and ready to play.

Super Bowl XLV MVP Aaron Rodgers returns to lead the Green and Yellow after a memorable 2010 season. He threw for 3,922 yards, 28 touchdowns and 11 interceptions on the way to the franchise’s fourth Super Bowl title.

Also returning is receiving threat Greg Jennings. He is coming off a 1,265 yards and 12 touchdowns season, and is Rodgers’ top target.

Joining him in the receiving game are veteran receivers Donald Driver, James Jones and tight end JerMichael Finley. Finley did not play in the Super Bowl game, due to injury.

Green Bay’s running game will feature Ryan Grant, who is returning from a season ending ankle injury.

Last season, the Packers ranked 24 in rushing, but having Grant back could make a big impact with support from returning running backs John Kuhn and James Starks.

Both New Orleans and Green Bay want to start out their season with a victory. Kickoff is set for 8:30pm, Thursday Sept. 8 on NBC.

View Comments (1)