Pharmacy student joins cyclist in 9/11 tribute

Cody Fontenot travels down Hwy. 80 with Max McManus through Monroe as part of his journey to travel the 48 continental United States in 48 days.

When Max McManus, an athletic trainer from Nevada, embarked on a record breaking 9/11 tribute ride across America, pharmacy student Cody Fontenot got the opportunity of a lifetime to help veterans of the United States Armed Forces.

McManus biked from state to state on the way to a final destination of Ground Zero on 9/11.

His goal was to bike through Alaska and Hawaii then the remaining 48 states in 48 days.

The previous world record was 48 states in 60 days.

On Aug. 27, McManus traveled to Monroe and ULM.

Fontenot, a P2 pharmacy student and veteran from Eunice, was working in the West Monroe Wal-Mart pharmacy just before closing when McManus approached.

After hearing the word “cycling,” Cody walked up as one of the pharmacists informed him of Max’s cycling endeavor. McManus then explained to Cody that he was doing it to connect Americans in tribute of 9/11 as something to remember and believe in.

“I asked when he was riding, and he said 6:30 a.m.,” said Fontenot. “When I got home, it never dawned on me that I could ride with him.”

Cody frantically tried to locate McManus the next morning. He traveled to West Monroe with his bike and set out to find the history-making cyclist.

Luckily for Cody, he found McManus at a hotel near Thomas Road.

“The chance of me meeting him, hearing the word cycle and finding him at 6:30 a.m.; It was meant to be,” Cody said.

After talking, McManus and Fontenot headed on a 26 mile biking journey across Monroe.

The ride began near Bayou D’Arbonne. The cyclists then proceeded to travel on highway 80 into Monroe across the Lea Joyner Bridge.

They then traveled through Louisville Avenue and Desiard Street until reaching Ray’s PeGe where they continued to Start. At that point the two men split up with McManus continuing on to I-20.

“It’s a story that’s with you for the rest of your life, but at the same time, this is a story that needs to get out so we can raise awareness for this ride,” Fontenot said.

All of the proceeds for McManus’ journey will benefit the 9/11 Help America Foundation.

The foundation helps disabled and wounded veterans cover the costs of living and services that are not covered by disability assistance.

The 50 states in 50 days record attempt can be followed at freedom5050.com.