Style show displays business attire

A student at last year’s show flashes his sense of business style while strutting down the catwalk.

In a highly competitive job market, a first impression can be the difference between getting hired and being in the unemployment line.

The ULM Office of Career Connections will host its annual style show on Wednesday, Sept. 21 at 7 p.m. on the second floor of the SUB to teach students how to make that good first impression by showing students how to dress for the business world.

“We want our students to be the best that they can be,” said Alberta Green, director of Career Connections.

More than 350 students are expected at the style show, which will present appropriate outfits for dress at functions such as interviews, business lunches, charity events, conferences, career fairs and more.

Those attending the show can win door prizes from various clothing stores.

The style show is one of several activities the career center hosts to prepare students for the upcoming career fair on Oct. 12 in the Fant-Ewing Coliseum. A pre-fair workshop is held the day before to prep students on how to work the room and make the most of their time at the fair.

Career Connections offers several different ways to help students find jobs. Students can enter their name into the center’s database to be contacted when employers come calling. The center’s “Backpack to Briefcase” program helps graduating seniors strengthen resumes, clean their social media accounts and learn how to be an attractive job candidate.

“At ULM, our career center is very proactive in helping students seek out appropriate careers for their majors,” Green said.

The center’s approach seems to be working. In the past month and a half, five different employers have been hiring students in positions that they can build careers on.

El Chico was in the Career Connections office last week conducting interviews for a marketing position. Storeowner Monica Sparkman said she was very impressed with the candidates ULM presented.

“I would come back here for any position I needed,” said Sparkman. “If I needed management, I would definitely come here.”