Administration restructures hierarchy

Richters
Richters

Richters highlights vice-presidential restructuring

Richters

Stephen Richters was hired as the new executive vice president for the University, highlighting one of the many changes of the administration restructuring that took effect earlier this month.

University President Nick Bruno announced in July his intention to restructure the administrative chart and eliminate two of the vice president positions.

The goals of the plan are to save money and tighten the duties required of each office.

“I’m optimistic [the restructuring] is going to benefit our campus pretty well as soon as it is fully implemented,” Bruno said.

ULM no longer has a vice president for business affairs or a vice president of advancement and external affairs, a move that is expected to save the University approximately $350,000, but that amount will not be realized until 2013.

Perhaps the most controversial of the changes within the administration was the recent hiring of Richters as executive vice president.

Under former University President James Cofer, Richters gained a reputation among faculty as being a heavyhanded administrator. The reputation was enough of a concern for Bruno that he asked different faculty members how they would feel if Richters got the job.

Bruno said some faculty could see a difference in Richters since Bruno took over, but others still had reservations.

Ultimately, Bruno made the hire, and he said he does not foresee any problems.

“It is my responsibility to make sure all my vice presidents and all those who report to me adopt the type of style of management that I have, which is much more patient,” said Bruno.

“I expect them to be fair and evaluate the process before they take actions.”

Bruno does not expect any major problems with the changes. He said operations may be slower right now because administration is adjusting to fewer staff. Bruno said they are also still adjusting to him.

“I think many are still trying to feel me out because they are trying to learn my style,” he said.

Vice President of Academic Affairs Eric Pani said he expects most people will be pleased with cuts to the administration because money saved there would otherwise be realized by cuts to faculty.

“If you ask almost anybody, if you had a choice to cut an administrator or faculty, they’d cut the administrator,” Pani said.

Former Vice President of Business Affairs David Nicklas retired. Former Vice President of Advancement and External Affairs Don Skelton has remained with ULM in the role of special assistant to the president, a position that will be eliminated after Skelton completes projects he was working on before the restructuring. After that, he is expected to retire.