Women’s golf shoots best-round ever; Park finishes 2nd overall

Freshman Jennifer Park teeing off at the Great Smokies Intercollegiate last week.

The women’s golf team finished sixth out of 23 teams at their first tournament in Waynesville, N.C., last week.

The team was lead by freshman Jennifer Park who placed second individually.

Park said, “I was nervous before and during the tournament, but I knew that I had support from my teammates which helped me to be more confident.”

Park’s nerves did not reflect in her scores. The first-year player turned in an impressive 68 followed by a second-day 70.

She is the only freshman in the history of the women’s program to score under par for a tournament.

Park now holds the all-time record for the lowest single-round score.

The team was only one shot out of the lead after the first round with a record-breaking 291 team total, only three shots over par.

Sophomore Ali Lucas was impressed with their overall performance.

Lucas said, “The numbers speak for themselves. This team has great potential to go far this year because we all have the drive to compete and win.”

The Warhawks will be hosting their home tournament today and tomorrow at Bayou Desiard Country Club.

Coach Ashley Tonore said several strong Sun Belt teams will be competing in the Fred Marx Invitational.

She said, “I expect the girls to play well in our home event. If we play to our potential, it will be a great tournament to win.”

The women’s golf team encourages students, faculty and alumni to come support them as they strive for a win on the bayou.