Honor society hosts speakers to teach students about med. school admission

The Alpha Epsilon Delta honor society launched its informational lecture series last week for students interested in entering the medical field.

“The people we bring in are very knowledgeable about their fields and the individual school they represent, including everything from admissions to curriculum to life after school,” said Hunter Vanderberg, vice president of Alpha Epsilon Delta.

The first speaker covered all of those things, and future speakers are expected to do the same.

Jim Weir, associate dean of student affairs at William Carey University in Hattiesburg, Miss., spoke Wednesday and told students about his school’s osteopathic medicine program.

Weir’s school specializes in that particular type of medicine, but the honor society has scheduled guests from every medical field to visit the campus within the next few weeks.

Debra Jackson, an advisor of the honor society and an assistant biology professor, said the University fosters relationships with many medical schools in the area so they can bring them in and answer questions for students.

“[Weir] answered every question a student might have on their mind,” said Jackson. “It’s a big leg up when you can ask questions that are pertinent to grow.”

Although the honor society is hosting the speaking events, any student interested in going to a medical school is allowed to attend any of the events. Many have circled next Monday on their calendars as the society will bring in a speaker from the LSU Health Sciences Center in Shreveport.

A detailed speaker schedule is posted in the Chemistry and Natural Sciences Building near room 334.