Health fair promotes wellness

Joshua Howard does 54 sit-ups in one minute as part of the health fair in the SUB Tuesday.

Nursing school teaches students about their bodies

The Student Health Center held a health fair Tuesday in the SUB to promote better health for the ULM community.

More than 10 different booths passed out health information to students. Each booth included senior students and professors to inform everyone about the dangers of bad health.

Physical and mental health were the two focuses of the event. The physical health booths included: lung cancer, speech language pathology, blood pressure, STD prevention, hand washing, brushing your teeth, skin cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer and women’s health. ULM’s recreational services were also available.

“You never know what’s on your hands, so keep your hand sanitizer handy!” said Chelsea Dawkins, a freshman radiation technology major from Monroe.

Another student who participated in the recreational service activities was excited to show off his workout skills by doing 54 sit-ups in just one minute.

“It was tough. It was fun. It was not a joke,” said the student who accomplished the feat, Joshua Howard, a senior general studies major from Carencro, La.

Mental health activities informed students about the dangers of domestic violence, abusive relationships, stalking and substance abuse. One of these events included students putting on drunk goggles while trying to bowl.

“Your perception is off through this activity,” said Adebanjo Adedoja, a freshman pre-pharmacy major from Nigeria. “It really shows the effects of drunk driving.”

The fair also offered STD testing and flu shots for students. The nursing students working the event encouraged everyone to be active in their health and said health fairs give people a good opportunity to learn more about their body.