Toxicology gets funds for water testing

Toxicology students and a professor take water samples in the bayou.

Students could get valued experience while bettering local environment

The Department of Toxicology was awarded a grant of $564,496 by the Louisiana Environmental Quality and Protection Agency to observe the water quality and biological diversity in Bayou Lafourche and Turkey Creek tributaries. These watersheds were prioritized by the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture’s Mississippi River Basin Healthy Watershed’s initiative.

They were also awarded $53,467 to monitor water quality in Joe’s Bayou near Delhi. Improvements will also be seen in Start, Tallulah and Bayou Desiard on campus.

This two-year project is expected to have great effects on conserving wildlife habitats, improving water quality and helping to maintain agricultural productivity. The research collected by the Toxicology Department will be used in monitoring water quality. They will also partner with the ULM Plant-Soil Analysis Laboratory, the Northeast Delta Natural Resources Conservation Service and the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry.

Kevin Baer, toxicology principle investigator, said, “This is a wonderful opportunity for our students and will give them a lot of practice for the Toxicology field as well as real world experience. Participation in these projects is essential for training the next generation of environmental toxicologists and scientists.”

This is a voluntary project where all students can get involved in this conservation practice. Students will be trained to take water samples, learn hydrology techniques and reduce amounts of nutrients negatively affecting these watersheds.

The grants will effect on campus is the area between the bayou and dorm parking lots. A landscape architect is currently drawing up plans that the department hopes to be active in spring 2012 for a wetland detention area. Students will aid in detoxifying the area. All runoff will be taken, and this will help to educate the students in important of wetlands.