Start making up for midterms by going to study-friendly spots

Two students read at one of the many study areas in the university’s library during a late-night study session.

If you’re like many students, midterms snuck up on you, picked you up and dropped you on your head. It seems that every semester, midterms and finals come and go fast, and students are left wondering what happened.

Maybe it was procrastination or lack of sleep, but one thing is for sure, studying more would have helped. Here is a wake-up call: It’s already November, so why not get a jumpstart on the finals?

The University Library is one of the best places to study on campus. First of all, you have computers if you need them. Second, floors four and five are usually very quiet and secluded.

Group study rooms are available to all students. Students just need their IDs and at least two people to get a room that can be rented for up to four hours. The library is one of the places open until midnight during the week, but on Fridays they close at 4:30 p.m. The library is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays and 12 p.m. to midnight on Sundays.

Many people go to the Student Success Center because it is convenient, but it’s not ideal for silence. If you have math homework due, it can be the perfect place.

Tutoring is available for all students. So if a student needs help with a class, the SSC can get you a tutor. Online tutoring is available on the Moodle home page.

Tutoring hours for the SSC are from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday- Thursday. Computer lab hours are 7:30 a.m.-12 a.m. Monday-Thursday, 7:30-11:30a.m. Friday and 4-8 p.m. Saturday.

If students need a computer for a few things or to take quizzes, the Write Place in Walker Hall (formerly the Administration Building) gives the perfect balance for homework or studying.

“We offer English tutoring and help with students on their papers,” said Shelby McGaha, a speech-language pathology major from McGehee, Ark. “It’s a lot quieter than the library or SSC.”