Miss(ter) WKU pageant arrives

Jarvis Mansfield (a.k.a. Melove You Longtime) entertained the audience and won the pageant with a $250 Visa giftcard.

ULM’s Miss(ter) WKU pageant got laughs and cheers from the packed crowd last Monday in the SUB Ballroom.

The pageant featuring men in drag, poked fun at beauty contests as well as the ladies from homecoming opponent Western Kentucky University (WKU).

The pageant was divided into three portions: talent, evening wear and question and answer.

“It was freaking hilarious,” said Kaitlyn Fussello, pre-nursing major from Deville. Jarvis Mansfield (aka Melove You Longtime), a kinesiology major from Collinston, won the pageant, receiving a $250 Visa gift card while wearing a lime green dress and heels.

This was not Mansfield’s first time competing in the pageant, but he stole this year’s show with his rendition of Tina Turner’s “Proud Mary.”

“I do it just for fun, and I wanted to come back and try for the crown,” said Mansfield.

First runner up was Kyle Parker (Uma Dickhurtz,) who got a $150 Visa gift card. The second runner up was Brian Scholes (Tess Tickles,) who got a $50 Visa gift card.

Other contestants were Patrick Pierce (Shea Vercat,) Kasey Wright (Verdi Gogh) Alex Crowson (Ilickiya Holes,) Tremayne January (Dawasha An Dryer) and Clayton Starnes (Ghana Rea).

ULM’s homecoming king Ben Young, a marketing major from Rayville, was one of the judges for the pageant.

“It’s a big tradition because we’re making fun of the other school. There were some disturbing moments, though,” said Young, laughing.

Even though all the “ladies” couldn’t win, the crowd still rolled as they strut their stuff on the stage.