Domestic abuse forum raises awareness of stalking, violence

Pamela Saulsberry, head of the Social Work Department, adresses the coorelation of stalking and violence.

The ULM Violence Prevention and Intervention Program recently hosted a Domestic Violence Forum in hopes to raise awareness for victims of domestic abuse.

The forum, held Tuesday night in SUB Ballroom A, educated college students on the signs of stalking and how to leave an abusive domestic relationship.

Valerie Bowman, director of the Family Justice Center of Ouachita Parish, spoke on the high rate of domestic abuse in Louisiana.

“Louisiana is in the top 10 in the country for homicides on women by men,” Bowman said.

Bowman also works with the Wellspring Office, the only shelter in Northeast Louisiana that helps women as well as men escape domestic violence and take legal action against their abusers.

Pamela Saulsberry, head of the Social Work Department, paid special attention to an often overlooked precursor to domestic abuse: stalking. There is no legal definition of stalking, but she said there is a definite correlation between stalking and violence.

“During a nine month period, 13.1 percent of college women reported stalking,” Saulsberry said.

That number compares to eight percent reported by the general public. Signs of stalking, such as threats, uninvited visits and repetitive text messages/phone calls, were also talked about during the forum.

Criminal justice major Leandrea Williams said she felt the forum was very insightful.

“It is good that victims of domestic abuse know that they can have a place to go in their time of need,” Williams said.

Saulsberry said she wanted the forum to show students the signs of domestic abuse and that they should not, and do not, have to remain a victim.

She said she works closely with the University to help prevent domestic violence, and she uses an office in Stubbs to help victims overcome their predicaments.