Trojan: ULM sexual health rating drops 88 spots in national survey

A study conducted by Trojan Condoms, called the “Sexual Health Report Card,” shows ULM plummeted in the rankings, falling from 20th in 2010 to 108th in 2011.

The rankings plunge was the greatest of any of the 141 schools listed on the report.

Bert Sperling, president of Sperling’s Best Places Independence Research Firm, conducted the surveys and ranked the universities based on the amount of sexual health information universities provide for its students.

Sperling said, “We use a team of researchers that are recent college graduates, so they can put themselves in students’ shoes.”

Sperling said while conducting the study, his researchers call the health center, mail a questionnaire to the health center and check the resources available on the website.

“When we see a drop like ULM’s, it sends up a red flag and we give them another look,” Sperling said.

But health center officials said they never received a phone call or questionnaire from Trojan.

“I don’t know who they talked to at the University, but it wasn’t me,” said Yolanda Camper, director of the student health center.

Sperling could not provide a specific name of who his researchers spoke with at ULM. He said it is possible their calls were ignored by receptionists who may have thought they were telemarketers.

Camper said the ratings drop surprised her. She said the health center offers all of the programs it did last year, and they even added two more.

The health center offers all forms of birth control, does free HIV testing, works with student organizations like the Gay-Straight Alliance to pass out sexual health information and does health presentations in dorms.

The website, however, does not provide much information on sexual health, a key component in Sperling’s research.

Camper said, “Our goal is to include [sexual health information] this year on the site. That is certainly something we can add.”

Columbia University in New York received the number one ranking. LSU received the highest ranking of any Louisiana school, coming in at number 29.

DePaul ranked lowest on the rankings at 141. Louisiana Tech ranked 131, the lowest of any school in Louisiana.

View Comments (3)