Former Warhawk goes pro

Dynila Forbes (left) suited in his professional uniform.

Guard Forbes plays basketball professionally in Spain, living large

When a 22-year-old native from the Freeport, Bahamas stepped off the airplane in Monroe for the first time in 2008, he kept one thing in mind: basketball.

Not family. Not friends.

That same year, Dynile “Nyla” Forbes showed ULM men’s basketball team he did not take playing basketball as just a hobby, he wanted to make a career out of it.

By mid-season, he worked his way to a starting position on the roster and finished the season averaging 11 points per game.

Now Forbes plays professionally for Leyma Natura Basquet Coruna, a professional Spanish basketball league in Galicia, Spain.

“I can’t even put it in words,” Forbes said.

“It’s really a true blessing to be placed in this position and have the opportunity to play.”

In his first season, Forbes has no trouble adapting to the style of the Spanish professionals. He averages over 16 points per game.

He said, “I’m able to do various things on the court that most guys in my position don’t normally do.”

Forbes stands at about 6’4” but plays like he is the biggest person on the court. He can even make a seven-footer look small.

In a game for Leyma, Forbes ran the top wing.

He received a pass from the point guard and went straight to the lane for a dunk.

One person stood between Forbes and the basket.A seven-foot center. Forbes chose to go over him. He did.

He dunked the ball over a 7’1” center, and the fans cheered in joy and laughter.

“For me its was a great confidence booster because he was a 7’1” guy, and I felt that if I can do that to him, I can to anyone that I play against.”

The dunk over the seven-footer instantly made Forbes a fan-favorite.

He said fans often flag him down in a restaurant or grocery store to ask for an autograph and picture.

“The love and respect is mutual between myself and the fans here. It’s a great feeling when someone come and ask, “Are you Nyla Forbes?”

He said, “For me that’s huge.”

Forbes travels around Europe competing against many different teams, but he said there are more benefits than just playing ball.

“I’m able to see another country and explore it, and I’m getting a chance to learn another language other than English.”

As for adjusting to the Spanish language, Forbes said, “It’s coming along very good.”

Forbes’ professional career is doing better than many expected.

Because he didn’t enter the NBA draft, many assumed he gave up.

Ironically, the NBA is on lockout, and Forbes’ professional career continues.

In 2009, a ULM game against the Oklahoma Sooners and now NBAplayer, Blake Griffin of the Los Angeles Clippers, Forbes stole the show, at least for a moment.

Forbes is remembered in the game for a steal off Griffin’s lazy pass at mid-court. Forbes took it to the rack with a fast break two-handed.

ULM lost 72-61, but Forbes finished the night with a consistent 11 points and three steals.

“That was a good game, I won’t forget it. And as for Blake Griffin, it’s all congratulations from me to him.”

He said, “If given a chance to play against him again, I’m all open to it, and I will be looking forward to it.”

The ULM basketball team has two players remaining on the roster that played with Forbes: senior guards Hugh Mingo and Fred Brown.

Mingo said Forbes is definitely one of the most hardworking athletes the program has seen and “doing what he has to do to become successful.”

“He set himself up for a good shot.”

Mingo and Brown redshirted the season Forbes was on the court, but Brown still could sum Forbes’ explosive guard play up in one word.

Brown said, “Athletic.”