Running and not looking back

Running back Jyruss Edwards breaks for a 41-yard touchdown run on Saturday in the win against Middle Tennessee.

Edwards rushes for 3 touchdowns; football routes Middle Tennessee 42-14

The football team (3-7, 2-4) came out the gate swinging on Saturday against the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders at home and won 42-14.

The route against MTU (2-7, 1-4) is the first time since joining the Sun Belt Conference that ULM came out scoring touchdowns on its first-five possessions of any game.

Running back Jyruss Edwards wanted to continue his running dominance from the game against UL-Lafayette last week, and so he did recording his second-straight game with three rushing touchdowns.

His longest run was 41 yards.

He finished the day with 27 carries for 191 yards.

“Coach challenged us this week to run the ball, and I think we came out and executed that,” Edwards said.

Quarterback Kolton Browning scored the first touchdown for the Warhawks in the first quarter on a three-yard scramble.

Browning finished with a stellar performance, completing 15 of 18 pass attempts for 193 yards and two passing touchdowns.

Browning said, “We know we are an explosive offense when we do things right, and we did that today and it showed on the scoreboard.”

His biggest pass connected to receiver Je’Ron Hamm for a 50-yard touchdown.

The Warhawk defense dominated the Blue Raiders, forcing three turnovers in the game.

The team plays Florida International on Saturday for Military Day.