Paterno out at Penn State, state pen next

Penn State’s board of trustees released news on Wednesday they were firing head coach Joe Paterno along with school president Graham Spanier. This decision came four days after a grand jury charged retired defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky with multiple counts of alleged sexual assault and rape.

This was the third time Sandusky had allegedly been with an adolescent in university facility. The first time was in 1998 when an investigation went on by Child Protection Services and the university was completely informed. The only thing that came of the investigation was a retirement package a year later from Penn State to Sandusky.

Why would they even consider letting him retire and not ban him from the school? Sandusky’s book title named “Touching” should have obviously thrown up red flags with police. Penn State’s “image” was in jeopardy back then, but Sandusky still gets to stick around.

Now that people are coming forward, they send Paterno packing. Trying to save what little image they have left?

Was Paterno in the wrong? Under Pennsylvania Law it is ones responsibility to report suspected child abuse to Child Protective Services or law enforcement. That means several employees could possibly face jail time if found guilty of knowledge to Sandusky’s actions.

Then why only fire the president and head coach when so many others are involved? Sandusky ended his coaching career with a grin and retirement package in ’99 and gets to keep his access to the school, while Paterno is forced to leave with a tainted legacy.

I just hope this doesn’t reflect Paterno’s career down the road. The schools image could’ve been saved 12 years ago. Instead they make a hasty decision in an attempt to take pressure off the school when the issue will surely resurface in the near future.