Natatorium vote delayed 2 weeks

Students to decide pool’s fate at the end of the month

The student vote to decide the future of the natatorium was delayed this week. Officials still maintain the vote will take place before the Dec. 1 deadline that was set before the semester began.

Student Government officials had hoped to include the vote in this week’s Mardi Gras Court and Campus Activities Board (CAB) elections, but not enough information is in yet for the students to really know what they are voting on, according to Nathan Hall, assistant dean of Student Life and Leadership.

Hall said SGA is waiting on plans from the community’s architect so that a third party can give a cost estimate to present in the vote. As of Friday, Hall was not sure if the natatorium group had submitted their final plans.

Hall said the community could be waiting to submit plans after their fundraiser Tuesday so that the group will better know where they stand financially.

SGA President Brooke Dugas said the vote will likely take place at the end of November when run-off elections for Mardi Gras and CAB will be held. She echoed Hall’s opinion that no vote should be taken before full cost estimates for all possible options are presented.

“Once we get the cost estimates from our third party, we’ll be rocking and rolling,” Dugas said.

As things stand now, the natatorium is scheduled to close on Dec. 9. If the community is able to raise the necessary funds, Hall said the community could pay to keep the building open. Students would still be able to swim there even if the community takes over operations because the University would still own the pool.

If the community is unable to raise the funds to keep the building open, students will be able to swim at the Monroe Athletic Club.