Students vote to close natatorium, build outdoor pool in Bayou Park

Students have voted to close the Lake C. Oxford Natatorium permanently and instead prefer to build a new swimming complex in Bayou Park, according to straw poll election results released by the University.

Nearly 46 percent of the 1,200 votes cast were in favor of the Bayou Park project.

Twenty-eight percent voted to do nothing. Those wishing to renovate the natatorium finished last with nearly 27 percent, despite an aggressive campaign to save the natatorium that began in the summer.

The natatorium’s future came into question in July when the University decided to close the building because of reported low usage. Following an outcry from the community, the University and the Student Government Association decided to leave the building open for the fall semester until a new direction was determined.

Plans for the Bayou Park project include a small indoor pool, an outdoor pool, lazy river, island social area and an amphitheater.

Also on the ballot was a measure to turn the natatorium into an event center. That motion passed with about 57 percent of the vote.

The straw poll vote will be used to determine how to proceed in the future regarding the building, which was built in 1977 and is in need of serious repairs.

A referendum will likely be on the spring election ballot next April to adjust fees. An estimated 80 dollar fee increase is expected to pay for the Bayou Park plans.

Information regarding fees to renovate the natatorium into an event center were not immediately available.

The University originally planned to close the natatorium on Dec. 9. But community efforts have raised about 220,000 dollars to keep it open. It is unclear whether the pool will remain open during construction and paid for with those funds.

Community members have said that if the funds they raised are not used on the natatorium, they will be given to a charity or non-profit organization.

Be sure to check the Hawkeye for more updates and reactions to these developing events.