Banned skier Worden wins 2011 Collegiate Male Athlete of the Year

The National Collegiate Water Ski Association (NCWSA) awards committee voted “unanimously” to name suspended ULM water skier Zack Worden as 2011 Male Collegiate Athlete of the Year, according to NCWSA awards committee chairman Jeff Rush.

“I’m really pumped. It’s a real big honor to earn it,” Worden said.

He said, “It’s pretty cool because my mom actually won the same award for best collegiate female back in 1984, so it’s cool to keep it in the family.”

Worden, a junior from Deltona, Fla., broke the longest standing NCWSA record at the 2011 NCWSA Championships, by jumping 195 ft. to win the event and secure an overall individual and team championship.

Worden said, “It was an awesome way to cap the year off with that record and get this award.”

Rush said, “While the official scorebook shows 194′ being Zack’s best distance, a technical review, required for all records, determined that the jump was actually 195′ (59.5 m), and the board approved the jump distance based on the technical report.”

Former Warhawk Ryan Fitts owned the previous record of 193 ft. (58.9m) that was set at the 1999 NCWSA Nationals in Sacramento, CA.

Rush said, “It is conceivable that he (Worden) could set it again.”

At the NCWSA Championships, Worden slalomed through 38 off, and finished 2nd with a ½ buoy at 39 off, and earned 4800 points in tricks to earn a second-place in the event also.

Worden will accept the award at the annual USA Water Ski Banquet on Jan. 28 in Polk City, Fla.