Water ski still winning; brings home medals in World Championships

photo by Srdjan Marjanovic
photo by Srdjan Marjanovic

The water ski team continues to dominate, this time members competed in the World University Championships Jan. 12-15 in Santiago, Chile.

ULM had the most competitors and the greatest number of medal winners of any university in the world, according to Treina Landrum, ULM Water Ski Team coach.

Landrum said, “Overall, ULM skiers brought home 13 medals: four gold, five silver and four bronze.”

She said, “These competitors are deeply committed to their sport and have brought great honor to ULM.”

Male skier Adam Pickos won a gold medal after a first place finish in the men’s tricks competition.

“It was huge for me.” Pickos said. “It was hard to train for a January competition with it being our offseason, but I was able to get in with this team and get some good training.”

He competed for Team USA, and with his success, USA won the overall title.

Pickos also brought home a silver medal with a second place finish in the men’s slalom, an event he didn’t expect to do so well in.

Pickos skated well in the slalom preliminary rounds, and in the finals he tied with Chilean native Felipe Miranda.

By rule, Miranda and Pickos went into a tiebreaker, in which Pickos finished second.

He said, “That was huge for me too. It was my first run-off in a big competition like that and I am more than happy with my results.”

Pickos said, “It was good for me to get that experience and I was glad that I skated that well.”

Female skier Alex Lauretano brought home a gold medal in the tricks and she finished as the overall women’s champion.

Pickos said he expects to have a good season for the Warhawks in the upcoming fall season and he said, “Warhawks be ready.”