New programs, choices greet students for spring semester

The activity center, auxiliary services and student life have all been planning hard to give the students a productive spring semester. Events ranging from intramurals to concerts to nutritional plans have been encouraged to motivate students to get out there and stay motivated and in shape when not studying.

For physical fitness, students should look into taking a trip to the activity center. It is not only open to students, but to faculty and community as well.

“This semester we are really focused on informing students about our complimentary programs which includes group exercise classes, body fat testing, and exercise prescription,” said Wellness Program Coordinator Dusty Mardis.

The activity center loves to concentrate on their intramurals where they offer sports such as basketball, dodgeball, arm wrestling and much more. Personal trainers are available for anyone who may be interested. Daily classes are held such as Zumba, hip-hop, butts and guts, etc. The YMCA recently collaborated with ULM to keep the natatorium open and will be responsible for holding activities and special events there.

The biggest event the activity center holds for the spring semester is the Seventh Annual Spring Meltdown. This six-week program allows students to really crack down on eating habits and exercise habits. Anyone can register for $5 as an individual or as a team of three from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 4-7 p.m. in the Activity Center Lounge on Monday, Feb. 7. The winners will receive the money donated to participate in the event.

Each semester, ARAMARK Food Services are working their hardest to expose ULM students to better nutritional values while eating on campus. Sushic and Grill Works have included more vegetarian dishes to encourage low calorie meals. ARAMARK has also installed the new Coca-Cola Freestyle machine, which will offer 100+ branding beverages, including 60 diet and low-calorie beverages and more than 65 caffeine free beverages to suit a variety of students’ tastes. The statistics of ULM’s dining area has seen impressive improvements in the availability of healthy options this past year.

As for student life, Campus Activities Board and many other oncampus organizations have tons of events planned to make this semester a great one. Important speakers and performers have been invited to our campus to entertain and inform our students. Fun events like the Mardi Gras Ball, Casino Night, ULM’s Got Talent, Greek Week and many more have been planned throughout the semester.

“Spring is a more upbeat semester. It includes spring break, Spring Fever week, and it means summer is right around the corner. People are definitely more motivated to get into shape.” said Haley Alford, a freshman elementary education major from Bossier City. “I know myself and almost all of my friends have already started working out.”