Student’s pleased with UPD’s reaction during CNSB scare

ULM students were satisfied with how the university handled the situation involving the evacuation of the Chemical and Natural Sciences Building on Wednesday.

All ended up being well after small traces of activated charcoal triggered a fire alarm in CNSB, according to the Monroe Fire Department.

“I believe that they handled the situation very well,” senior toxicology major Briana Robinson said. “Everyone exited the building in a timely and safe matter, and everyone remained calm.”

The building was evacuated around 10:30 a.m. as firefighters checked the scene but found no fire or chemical spill. Luckily, there were no injuries and the building was re-opened at about 11:25 a.m.

The University Police Department, Monroe Police and the Fire Department kept students back as the situation was investigated.

The only thing that Robinson hoped they could have done was to be more accurate during the sequence.

“I believe that really could have done different was putting more accurate information out there, because when it happened, I heard several different accounts of the story, and it was actually pretty confusing,” Robinson said.”

ULM Interim President Stephen Richters said in a statement: “On behalf of the university, I would like to express my appreciation to the Monroe City Fire Department and the ULM Police Department for their professional and timely response.

Their rapid reaction to this incident demonstrates that the city and university emergency protocols are firmly in place, ensuring the safety of our university family should a serious incident ever occur.”