Track ready, set to go for conference title

Team eyeing title for indoor season championships

The track and field team is in the middle of its indoor season and is competing well so far.
“We’ve got some good people in different events, and if we can stay healthy, then we may have a chance,” head coach J.D. Malone said. “We have a better team all around.”
The team has until Feb. 25 before traveling to Murfreesboro, Tenn. to compete in the Sun Belt Conference Indoor Championships.
The Warhawks competed in the Red Raider Open in Lubbock, Texas on Feb. 4 and gained some confidence that can help against Sun Belt rivals.
Senior Luther Ambrose competed in the 55-meter dash and earned a second place finish with a time of 6.36. His time and overall finish was debated due to a computer error, but it was rectified.
Also junior Devin Caldwell ran well for the team in his first “semihealthy” season. Caldwell competed in the 800-meter  run and finished third place with a time of 1:56.10.
Malone said, “I think he (Caldwell) can contribute in conference, and that’ll be gravy points for the team so to speak.”
Other notables on the men’s side are junior Clint Broussard, who competes in the high jump, and senior Derek Dark, who competes in the shot put throw. Broussard is the reigning outdoor champion and hopes to get his first indoor title.
Broussard said, “I’m feeling confident about competing. I believe we have the talent to win conference hands down if we can all stay healthy and keep a strong work ethic.”
For the women’s team, freshmen Tyreca Jackson and Teona Glave stood out in the 800-meter run. Jackson earned a fifth place finish with a time of 2:21.40 and Glave finished 10th with a time of 2:25.70.

Malone said, “Our women’s team is kind of in the rebuilding mode, but I think we may actually have a better team than last year.”

Sophomore Johneashia Diggs also is running well for the team in the 400-meter dash. She finished ahead of junior  teammate Jacobi Wilson in the 400-meters at the Red Raider Open.
Senior Denise Myers competes in the long distance runs for the team and said the team has been improving throughout the indoor season.

At the conference championships, Myers said, “I’m expecting a lot of big results.”