National signing day brings 22 to football

Srdjan Marjanovic

The football team signed 22 players at the National Signing Day Banquet on Feb. 1.
Head coach Todd Berry said what separates these athletes is that they are “Bigger, stronger, faster athletes than their teammates or [when] comparing them to other athletes at different schools.”
These athletes were chosen from schools in Louisiana and neighboring states Texas, Arkansas and Mississippi.
There were certain traits the team looked for in its recruiting process.
Berry said, “Factors would include being better students, of higher character, love the game more and make plays because they have a feel for the game.”
In Louisiana, the coaches convinced seven to sign for next season. Jacob Tyson from West Monroe, Tre Hunter from Monroe, Tyren Hills from Boutte, Tevyn Cagins from Laffite, Jack Mervin from New Orleans, Alec Osborne from Geismar and Brandon Savone from Harvey.
Mervin was reported to have the strongest squat in De La Salle High School’s history.
From Texas, ULM signed Trey Caldwell and Cameron Oliver from Richardson, Alex Johnson from Fort Worth, Ferrando Joseph from Corinth, Lenzy Pipkins from Mansfield, Austin Moss from Rockwall, Diontre Thomas from Denton, Jimmy Chung from Irving, Tony Cook from DeSoto and Nick Jones from Brownsboro.
ULM signed Jamal Danley, from Olive Branch, Miss.
From Arkansas, the team signed Quincy Hardwell from El Dorado, Jeff Savage from Smackover and Ajalen Holley from Hot Springs.
Berry said, “Overall, this group looks like Division I athletes when it walks into the room.”