PRSSA practices event skills with race

Ace’s Grand Adventure was hosted by ULM’s Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) Friday in Bayou Park.

This scavenger hunt had students scurrying around campus to 20 locations, cracking codes and snapping pictures.

Participants came with cameras in hand ready to compete for the grand prize of $250. Second-place participants received an ULM umbrella, and third-place participants received a ULM Lanyard. Each place was also given a ULM t-shirt.

Ben Young, a junior business management major, and Adam Coco, a freshman kinesiology major (the red team) were the first place team winners.

John Sanders and Phil Petit (the green team) were the second-place winners, and Andrew McDonald was Ace’s third-place winner. Most participants finished the race within an hour.

First place winner Ben Young said, “I had fun doing the race. My adrenaline was pumping the entire time.”

Coco said, “Some of the clues were challenging but the cash prize was enough motivation to figure them out and win the race.”

Young added, “My partner Adam and I came into the race with every intention of winning and did what we had to do for the grand prize. The free shirts were pretty amazing, too.”

Dr. Bette J. Kauffman, associate professor of communication and PRSSA faculty advisor said, “PRSSA is trying to establish more of a presence on campus, and Ace’s Grand Adventure was also a great way for PR students to practice their event-planning skills.”

PRSSA is a pre-professional organization that is committed to making better public relations professionals by allowing them to sharpen their skills, network and travel. This organization sets students up for success. Upon graduation, students then sign up to be a part of Public Relations Society of America, or PRSA.

“PRSSA allows its members to expand their knowledge of the dynamics of the public relations world and be a part of a truly helpful organization,” said Meghan Sit, PRSSA vice president.