Aviation student soars with top scholarship

Tudor 1 of only 10 nationally to get ISTAT money

Aviation students dream of the opportunity to fly and travel the world. ULM aviation major Alair Tudor of Barbados recently took one step closer to realizing that dream.

Tudor is one of 10 students in the nation to be awarded a $5,000 scholarship from the International Society of Transport Aircraft Trading Foundation. This money will benefit him in the future to pursue his dream of becoming a flight instructor.

“God has truly blessed me with all the supportive family, teachers, and friends,” said Tudor. “I am truly grateful to have such a privilege. I am looking towards the future now.”

According to Tudor, the aviation department at each university selects one student to participate in this scholarship. For more than 25 years, ISTAT has been taking part in events concerning the various sections of the commercial aviation sector and consists of more than 2,200 members worldwide. ISTAT requires students to submit their resume and also write an essay explaining why they have chosen aviation as their major. Tudor turned in his scholarship application early this year and was very prepared thanks to the help of assistant professors of aviation Prashant Gurung and David King.

“I was thrilled and very proud when Alair got the scholarship. He is a bright student with a studious attitude,” said Gurung. “He had all the deserving credentials, and my part was fairly simple to help him get what he deserved.”

Tudor has also been awarded several other aviation scholarships while attending ULM, is a member of the Student Government Association and is the ULM flight team captain.

He will graduate this semester to pursue his goal of becoming a flight instructor.