Participation scholarships award active students

March 29 marks deadline to apply

Every year, 12 to 16 students are awarded the Student Involvement Scholarship for being involved in campus activities.

The value of the scholarships vary each year depending on how much money is available.

The selection committee will determine each individual award for the students. The top male and female students who win the scholarship will also receive a plaque at the student affairs banquette.

Some of the application criteria includes:

•Recipient(s) must be a full-time student pursuing their first undergraduate degree.

•Must have completed at least two semesters at ULM (excluding summer sessions) with a 2.5 cumulative GPA.

•Outstanding participation in campus activities – extracurricular activities such as athletics, student government, social and religious affairs, speech, music, drama and other arts.

The department heads of each college and Student Affairs can make recommendations for their deans to pick from.

Each dean is requested to prepare a list of nominees based on the recommendations received from their department heads. The deadline for deans to turn in the list is March 29.

Students who wish to apply for the scholarship can pick up an application from the student life office or their academic dean.

Students can also be nominated by a student organization. The forms must be turned in to the Student Government Association by March 28.

A committee of faculty and staff evaluate the submitted applications to choose the winners.

“It’s weighted off of your academic accomplishments and what organizations or positions you have held,” said Nathan Hall, assistant dean of Student Life and Leadership.

Seth Hall, a graduate student in business administration,received the scholarship in the spring of 2010. He said he thinks this award definitely helps students in the workforce.

“My resume is stronger now as a result of this award. Employers know that prospective employees who were involved while in college have great social and communication skills,” Hall said.