Campus Internet access changes

Last Wednesday the computing center made a minor change to how students can access the Internet.

From now on, students are required to open a web browser such as Firefox, Safari or Internet Explorer on his or her phone or computer to review the disclaimer and connect to the Internet.

Chance Eppinette, interim director of the computing center, said the change was made because of the overwhelming growth of WiFi capable mobile devices.

“The large number of mobile devices being connected were reducing the capacity for students to effectively conduct Moodle class activities and exams,” Eppinette said. Eppinette also said when there’s a large classroom of 60-100 students and everyone is trying to connect on their phones or computers, the Internet becomes sluggish and some students can’t even connect.

Students or faculty who need access to Moodle will have to log on to “ULM Student” or “ULM Faculty” using their ULM username and password.

Eppinette said the purpose of the change is to minimize the number of mobile devices that automatically connect to “ULM Guest” wireless.

Imari Hall, a senior mass communications major, said, “The wireless at ULM has been terribly slow, so I almost never attempt to complete assignments on my laptop.”

The pharmacy building experienced the most problems.