Online teaching program receives national ranking

ULM’s online graduate education program was ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s top online programs.

ULM was the only Louisiana institution to be ranked in all four of the ranking’s categories. It also ranked higher than all other Louisiana institutions in every category, except for one.

Of the ranking categories, ULM was selected: 19 in admissions selectivity, 33 in faculty credentials and training, 68 in student services and technology and 99 in student engagement and accreditation, which was second to Northwestern State’s ranking of 51.

The program has been recognized by The New York Times, National Public Radio and Louisiana Public Broadcasting. Eric Pani, interim vice president of academic affairs, said that type of coverage is evidence of the high-quality programs ULM offers.

“There is clearly a group of students who want online courses, so I think the future will certainly see growth in this type of delivery,” said Pani. “I’m really looking forward to seeing what innovations will develop as we all become more familiar with technology.”

The success of the program stems from a focus of quality control and making sure the students have the resources they need to thrive, according to Sandra Lemoine, dean of the College of Education.

“It’s easy to put a program online, but it’s not easy to ensure it’s a quality program,” said Lemoine. “Once the students are in, we provide support throughout their time here.”

People enrolling in the program receive a practitioner’s license, allowing them to teach while still pursuing their degrees. About 80 people are enrolled in the teaching program. The temporary license is good for three years, but many finish in 14 months, according to Thillainataraja Sivakumaran, the associate dean who works most closely with the program.

Sivakumaran said the program is “pretty intensive” because the students are also working full-time. Mentors are provided to help them.

Sivakumaran and his staff are applying for a grant to further help students. The grant, provided by the U.S. Department of Education, gives a $4,000 stipend and an iPad to students who teach in low-performing school districts.